Thursday 10 June 2010

Famous last words, comic relief

Feeling a bit down today, but it is fine. I keep thinking: If we take hardship in physical training as an unavoidable progress we need to go through in order to be better in Kung Fu, then why do we see sadness as a weakness in the individual? Why do we not talk about it, but instead keep saying "I am fine", when people ask you how you are?

So, let me tell you: I feel shitty today. I took time to let my emotion go pass while observing it with an objective mind (if an objective mind excist). I told myself: it is ok to have a less good time, I had already a good time before. This too, will not stay.

However, humor is still a great way to bring a smile on my face even when the weather is cloudy and rainy (as it is today). I came across this list with famous last words from famous people. Some of it just got me cracking... I have a lot of respect for the dead, as death is what bind us together. So what would you say?

Here are some of my favorites:

Am I dying or is this my birthday?
When she woke briefly during her last illness and found all her family around her bedside.
~~ Lady Nancy Astor, d. 1964


Waiting are they? Waiting are they? Well--let 'em wait.
In response to an attending doctor who attempted to comfort him by saying, "General, I fear the angels are waiting for you."
~~ Ethan Allen, American Revolutionary general, d. 1789


How were the receipts today at Madison Square Garden?
~~ P. T. Barnum, entrepreneur, d. 1891

Friends applaud, the comedy is finished.
~~ Ludwig van Beethoven, composer, d. March 26, 1827

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.
~~ Humphrey Bogart, actor, d. January 14, 1957

I am about to -- or I am going to -- die: either expression is correct.
~~ Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian, d. 1702

Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
To her housekeeper, who had begun to pray aloud.
~~ Joan Crawford, actress, d. May 10, 1977


Yes, it's tough, but not as tough as doing comedy.
When asked if he thought dying was tough.
~~ Edmund Gwenn, actor, d. September 6, 1959


I knew it. I knew it. Born in a hotel room - and God damn it - died in a hotel room.
~~ Eugene O'Neill, writer, d. November 27, 1953

Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something.
~~ Pancho Villa, Mexican revolutionary, d. 1923

They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist. . . .
Killed in battle during US Civil War.
~~ General John Sedgwick, Union Commander, d. 1864


I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have.
~~ Leonardo da Vinci, artist, d. 1519

Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

Go on, get out - last words are for fools who haven't said enough.
To his housekeeper, who urged him to tell her his last words so she could write them down for posterity.
~~ Karl Marx, revolutionary, d. 1883


This one is for me the most memoriable one:

I've had a hell of a lot of fun and I've enjoyed every minute of it.
~~ Errol Flynn, actor, d. October 14, 1959

http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/dying.html

No comments:

Post a Comment